After an extended hiatus, Reparations in Action returns to the airwaves Friday, February 19 at 3pm ET. It kicks off with a 13-week series called “White Lies Shattered.”
Reparations in Action Host Jamie Simpson welcomes African People’s Solidarity Committee (APSC) Chairwoman Penny Hess, author of the book Overturning the Culture of Violence and Uhuru Solidarity Movement Chair Jesse Nevel to explore the genocidal history of colonial capitalism.
Jamie Simpson says, “The ‘White Lies Shattered’ series will use the historical record and African Internationalism, the political theory developed by Uhuru Movement leader Chairman Omali Yeshitela, to destroy the insidious lies white people tell ourselves about the nature of capitalism and the violent process that brought it into being. Each episode will focus on a specific lie this system uses to defend itself from criticism and from the just demand for reparations. The first episode will take aim at the lie that Europe brought civilization to an uncivilized world. Other lies to be upended during this series include:
- Africans sold themselves into slavery
- Capitalism was born as a benign and progressive force for good in the world
- In America everyone can make it if they try
- It’s not about race it’s about class
- The American Revolution was a battle for liberty against tyranny
- The white man discovered America and settled the ‘wild west’
- The U.S. Civil War had nothing to do with slavery
- Africans didn’t fight back against slavery
- The abolition of slavery was based on the good will of progressive white people
- Good liberal Democrats passed the Civil Rights Act out of concern for African people
- The U.S. spreads and protects democracy around the world
- There’s nothing we can do about injustice; there is no revolution”
Tune in to Reparations in Action and the “White Lies Shattered” series every Friday from 3-4pm U.S. Eastern Time on Black Power 96.3 FM or tune into the podcast on uhurusolidarity.podbean.com, iTunes or Spotify.